What happens when you put 150 different people from youth groups in 38 different countries together in one room for four days? We were faced with a mammoth task: writing an entire constitution for the EU. Our answer is that it’s not just possible – most importantly, it’s what is desperately needed!
Activists Verena, Rosanna, Ronja, Manuel, and Katja were the face of The European Moment at the European Youth Convention and made sure that our values were at the forefront of the new European Constitution.
This afternoon, the European Constitution was passed with an overwhelming majority. We’re chuffed to bits that it contains the values that we consider so important for changing and improving the EU!
#upholdvalues #EYC17 #FixEU
Take a look at the chapter on values in the new European Constitution:
“1. The European Union is founded on the untouchable values of peace, respect for human dignity, freedom, equality, sustainable development, environmental rights, equality of chances, diversity, and respect for human rights, including the rights of persons belonging to minorities and promotes them actively.
2. These values are common to the Member States in a society in which pluralism, non-discrimination, tolerance, openness, justice, solidarity and equality of chances and between all genders identities.
3. The freedom of movement of people, goods, services, and capital are erected as essential to the dynamic of the Union, its member states and citizens.
5. Civic and youth engagement and participation shall be encouraged. European values should be promoted through education in every Member State to empower European citizens and foster their critical thinking.
6. The Union fosters solidarity between States and within member states.
7. The Union commits to respecting and implementing these values and using them as guidelines in its policies.”
The complete European Convention will be available to read in the next few days at www.youthconvention.eu
Let us know what you think!